Skip to main content

Full text of "My trip to California in '49,"

See other formats

My  Trip  to  California  in 



The  memory  of  three  sweet  names;  Hallie, 
Maggie  and  Daisy,   once  the   joy  of  a  fond 
father's  heart,  now  adopted  in  the  language 
of  the  angels,  this  little  sketch  of  my  trip  to 
California  in  '49  is  affectionately  dedicated. 
March  14,  1914. 


One  of  Louisiana's  Best  Known  Citi- 
zens—A Brief  Sketch  of  His 

During  a  period  olr  thirty  years — 
from  1853  until  1883,  the  city  of  Lou- 
isiana was  blessed  with  many  repre- 
sentative citizens  who  contributed  to 
her  growth  and  development,  but 
none  were  more  truly  representative 
of  the  time,  than  the  subject  of  this 
sketch,  James  E.  Carstarphen. 

He  was  one  of  the  best  known  citi- 
zens within  her  border — known  as  a 
friend  of  every  man  and  of  every 
worthy  enterprise. 

Beginning  his  career  in  this  city  as 
merchant,  then  as  bank  cashier  for 
over  twenty-five  years,  he  came  to  be 
known  by  everybody,  and  was  inter- 
ested in  almost  every  movement  that 
had  for  its  object  the  advancement  of 
the  city,  whether  commercially,  edu- 
cationally, socially  or  religiously.  His 
friends  relied  upon  him  as  the  sup- 
porter of  every  good  cause.  As  Major 
Wm.  Warner  would  say:  "He  stood 
up  for  Louisiana,"  on  all  occasions 

and  in  every  assembly.  As  cashier 
of  the  only  bank  in  the  city  at  that 
time,  he  was  personally  known  to 
everybody,  and  was  counted  on  for  a 
contribution  to  every  cause  that  had 
for  its  object  the  uDlifting  of  human- 
ity and  the  advancement  of  knowl- 
edge among  the  people.  His  contri- 
butions were  cheerfully  and  liberally 
made  to  all.  When  the  poor  and  un- 
fortunate appealed  to  him  for  aid  like 
Goldsmith's  Village  Pastor,  "his  pity 
gave  'ere  charity  began". 

He  was  a  man  of  remarkably  cheer- 
ful disposition  at  home  and  elsewhere, 
and  at  the  same  time  strictly  business 
in  his  habits.  To  such  an  extent  did 
this  cheerful,  pleasant  manner  with 
everyone  prevail,  that  scores  perhaps 
hundreds  addressed  him  familiarly  as 
"Mr.  Cass".  He  was  kknown  among 
the  younger  class,  as  a  friend  of 
every  young  man  who  was  trying  to 
make  a  success  of  life.  The  writer 
remembers  him  in  this  regard  more 
than  forty  years  ago,  with  a  feeling 
that  is  akin  to  affection.  His  cheer- 
fulness is  illustrated  by  his  reply  to 
his  wife  one  day  as  he  was  leaving 
home  for  the  bank:  "Mr.  Carstarphen" 
said  she,  "straighten  up,  keep  that 
left  shoulder  up  with  the  other". 

"Now  Bee,  don't  you  know  that  was 
caused  by  my  carrying  a  hod  when  I 
was  a  young  man?"  That  was  the 
end  of  the  argument,  and  they  parted 
with  a  smile. 

A  Bit  of  Autobiography. 

James  E.  Carstarphen  was  born 
January  22,  1828,  in  Rails  county, 
Missouri,  near  New  London.  When  he 
was  six  years  old  his  father,  Chapell 
Carstarphen,  was  elected  sheriff  of 
Rails  county  and  moved  to  New  Lon- 
don, the  county  seat,  where  James  E. 
made  his  first  start  in  school  under 
the  guidance  and  instruction  of  Sam'l. 
K.  CaldweU,  as  his  first  teacher. 
(Mention  of  this  name  recalls  the  fact 
that  in  1818,  Samuel  K.  Caldwell  as- 
sisted by  Joel  K.  Shaw,  had  laid  out 
the  town  of  Louisiana.)  At  the  end 
of  three  years,  or  in  1837,  his  father 
moved  back  to  his  farm,  one  mile  east 
of  Trabue's  Lick,  where  James  E.  was 
reared  on  the  farm — accustomed  to  all 
kinds  of  farm  work — till  he  was  fif- 
teen years  old,  and  where  he  attend- 
ed the  district  school  near  Judge  Pore- 

man's,  three  months  in  each  winter 
during  that  time.  In  1843,  his  father 
sold  that  farm  and  bought  the  Wil- 
son farm,  three  miles  west  of  New 
London  and  moved  to  it.  Here  James 
E.  lived  with  his  parents  until  he  was 
twenty-one  years  of  age.  Part  of  the 
time  was  spent  in  teaching  a  district 
school,  three  months  of  each  winter, 
and  in  working  on  the  farm  during 
cropping  season,  until  the  spring  of 

1848,  when  he  went  to  Galena,  111.,  and 
spent  the  summer  of  that  year  pros- 
pecting in  that  region  for  lead  mines. 
In  the  fall   of  that  year  he  returned 
to  his  father's  home  in  Rails  county, 
Missouri,  and  taught  a  three  months' 
winter  school. 

About  this  time,  great  excitement 
broke  out  all  over  the  country,  over 
the  news  of  the  discovery  of  gold  at 
Gutter's  Mill  in  California.  People 
from  almost  everywhere  in  the  middle 
and  western  states  were  making  great 
preparations  to  start  in  the  spring  of 
1849  to  the  rich  gold  fields  of  Cali- 
fornia. They  were  outfitting  all  kinds 
of  conveyances,  and  going  in  almost 
every  conceivable  vay  imaginable. 
Hundreds,  yea,  thousands  went  with 
ox  teams,  and  quite  as  many  with  mule 
teams,  and  horse  teams,  and  on  pack 
mules  and  horses. 

James  E.  Carstarphen  being  twenty- 
one  years  old  on  the  22d  of  January, 

1849,  thought  he  was  a  fit  subject  and 
of  proper  age  to  make  the  trip.     And 
he  fell   into  line   early  in  the  excite- 

He  at  once  communicated  with  his 
older  brother,  Robert  Carstarphen, 
who  was  then  in  Wisconsin,  who  had 
already  made  his  arrangements  to  go 
west  from  that  state,  but  on  learning 
that  it  was  the  intention  of  James  E. 
and  his  cousin,  John  M.  Kelley,  then 
of  Rails  county,  Mo.,  to  start  early, 
he  came  at  once,  and  joined  them  in 
fitting  -out  for  the  trip,  with,  a  splen- 
did ox  team,  and  the  trio  started  on 
the  llth  day  of  April,  1849,  in  company 
with  twelve  others,  with  their  four 
wagons  and  ox  teams,  from  New  Lon- 
don via  St.  Joseph,  Mo.,  to  the  Sutter 
Gold  Fields;  • 

The  train,  with  five  wagons,  con- 
sisted in  part  of  James  E.  Carstar- 
phen, his  brother,  Robert  B.  Carstar- 
phen, and  his  cousin,  John  M.  Kelley; 

Thomas,  John  and  Humphrey  Hil- 
dreth;  Felix  and  Russell  Smith;  Wil- 
liam Jackson,  James  Henry  Hawkins, 
Richard  Johnson  and  others,  fifteen 
in  all.  (They  were  known  as  the  Salt 
River  Tigers,  said  a  friend.)  They 
drove  across  the  state — following  the 
old  trail — to  St.  Joseph,  Mo.  where 
they  loaded  their  wagons  with  pro- 
visions, such  as  flour,  coffee,  sugar, 
bacon,  tobacco,  etc.,  and  other  neces- 
sary articles  for  the  long  trip. 

They  crossed  the  Missouri  river  on 
May  1,  at  St.  Joseph,  Mo.,  and  drove 
out  to  the  Bluffs  and  Waited  one  week 
for  a  sufficiency  of  grass  to  sustain 
their  teams.  On  the  7th  day  of  Majr 
they  broke  camp  and  started  on  their 
long  and  perilous  journey,  a  distance 
of  over  two  thousand  miles,  to  Sac- 
ramento City,  California,  which  they 
reached  on  the  5th  day  of  September, 
never  stopping  more  than  one  night 
on  the  same  camping  ground.  This 
they  found  to  be  a  long  and  tiresome 
trip;  seldom  finding  anything  more 
than  a  trail  for  a  road;  and  never 
passing  a  house,  or  any  sign  of  civi- 
lized habitation,  except  two  forts,  viz: 
Fort  Laramie  and  Fort  Hall,  where 
U.  S.  government  soldiers  were  kept 
to  regulate  and  keep  the  Indians  in 

"Our  train  took  the  northern  route 
via  Fort  Hall,  hence  we  passed  away 
north  of  Salt  Lake  City,  where  a  small 
settlement  of  Mormons  resided  at  that 
time.  We  met  large  herds  of  wild  buf- 
faloes on  the  western  prairie  and  we 
encountered  much  difficulty  in  cross- 
ing large  streams.  We  overcame 
these  difficulties  in  part  by  dismant- 
ling our  wagons,  takinig  them  entire- 
ly apart,  and  making  boats  of  the 
wagon  beds  into  which  we  put  some 
of  our  stock  and  all  our  provisions 
and  rowed  them  across  the  rivers. 
The  rest  of  our  teams  were  made  to 
swim  .across,  or  driven  up  the  river 
and  crossed  where  the  water  was 

"I  may  relate  a  little  experience  our 
men  had  when  passing  over  a  very 
steep  mountain.  We  had  reached  the 
top  of  the  mountain  and  were  looking 
down  into  the  valley  b^vond.  How  to 
descend  that  steep  western  slope  was 
the  question.  We  ddcided  to  unhook 
all  but  one  yoke  of  oxen  from  each 
wagon  and  to  tie  the  biggest  rope  we 

had  to  the  hind  axle  and  wrap  the 
rope  around  a  tree,  and  with  sev- 
eral men  holding  the  rope,  let  the 
wagon  down  gradually.  Ah,  but  we 
were  glad  when  we  all  got  safely  down 
that  mountain. 

We  went  to  mining  at  Deer  Creek, 
now  in  the  state  of  Nevada,  using 
crude  cradles  for  separating  the  gold 
from  th«  dirt — such  as  were  used  in 
the  placer  mines.  This  netted  us  a 
3rield  of  about  sixty  dollars  a  day  on 
an  average,  in  gold  nuggets.  We  un- 
covered one  gravel  pit  which  for  a 
short  time  yielded  a  return  of  about 
one  thousand  dollars  of  gold  a  da>. 
Our  party  worked  at  the  mines  for 
about  one  year,  and  netted  about  five 
thousand  dollars  each.  We  then  de- 
cided to  return  home.  We  arrived  at 
San  Francisco  in  October,  1851,  and 
purchased  steamship  tickets  to  return 
by  way  of  Panama." 

In  the  previous  chapter  Mr.  Car- 
starphen  has  briefly  told  the  story  of 
his  trip  across  the  plains  to  Califor- 
nia in  1849,  and  now  he  will  give  his 
account  of  his  return  home.  Thus, 
we  get  the  facts,  without  embellish- 
ment or  exaggeration,  and  we  also 
hear  the  story  at  first  hand. 

"Having  been  successful  in  the  fif- 
teen months  we  spent  in  the  mines  in 
the  mountains,  five  of  us  decided  to 
leave  the  'diggings,'  and  return  home, 
not  by  the  long,  hard  and  monotonous 
route  we  had  come,  but  by  steamship 
from  San  Francisco.  All  kinds  of 
people  were  flocking  in  from  every- 
where and  we  were  unwilling  to  risk 
losing  what  we  had  gained,  by  re- 
maining longer  away  from  civilization. 
Besides,  provisions,  tools  and  every- 
thing we  used  could  be  had  only  for 
fabulous  prices.  Potatoes  were  a  dol- 
lar a  pound;  eggs,  50  cents  each;  a 
pair  of  boots,  $100;  a  Colt's  revolver, 
regarded  as  a  very  necessary  article 
by  a  majority  of  miners,  sold  for 
$150;  lumber  was  $500  per  thousand 
feet.  etc. 

"We  arrived  in  San  Francisco  in 
November,  1850,  and  all  bought  tickets 
to  Panama  City,  on  the  morning  we 
arrived.  The  ship  was  to  sail  in  three 
days.  The  first  night  we  spent  in  San 
Francisco,  awaiting  the  sailing  of  the 
ship,  three  out  of  our  party  of  five, 
took  the  cholera  (we  had  run  into  that 
disease  on  our  way  from  the  mines). 
My  brother,  Robert,  died  before  morn- 

ing. Richard  Davis  died  within  two 
days  afterward,  and  James  E.  Car- 
starphen  lingered  for  five  days  between 
life  and  death,  and  recovered.  He  was 
very  stout  and  rugged  and  simply 
wore  the  disease  out,  with  the  aid  of 
homeopathic  treatment.  The  three 
survivors,  viz:  J.  M.  Kelley,  John  H. 
Davis  and  James  E.  Carstarphen,  ex- 
changed tickets  and  a  week  later,  took 
the  next  steamer  for  the  City  of  Pan- 
ama, and  on  our  arrival  there  packed 
up  our  bedding  and  gold  of  which  each 
man  had  from  three  to  five  thousand 
dollars,  hired, a  man  with  a  pack- 
horse  to  assist  us,  and  set  out  on  foot 
to  cross  the  Isthmus  for  Colon,  fol- 
lowing the  trail  which  is  now  the  site 
of  the  Panama  canal,  making  the  last 
part  of  it,  however,  in  skiffs  down  the 
Chagres  river,  where  we  took  ship- 
ing  for  New  Orleans  by  way  of  Ha- 
vana, Cuba,  bancroft  Libnfff 

We  were  compelled  to  carry  crar 
gold  in  the  form  of  nuggets  and  dust 
in  buckskin  sacks  until  we  could  ex- 
change it  for  coin  or  currency  at  eith- 
er New  Orleans  or  St.  'Louis.  From 
New  Orleans  we  took  the  old  steamer 
City  of  Alexandria  to  St.  Louis,  arriv- 
ing there  eight  days  later.  At  St. 
Louis  we  sold  our  gold  at  the  old 
banking  house  of  Page  and  Bacon,  at 
sixteen  dollars  an  ounce  and  took 
steamer  for  Hannibal  and  the  next 
day  by  stage  coach  to  New  London, 
arriving  home  just  before  Christmas, 
1851,  having  been  absent  about  twen- 
ty-one months. 

"At  this  date,  December  1,  1913,  Jas. 
E.  Carstarphen  is  the  only  member 
of  that  party  of  fifteen  who  started 
April  11,  1849,  from  New  London  on 
that  trip,  who  is  still  living." 

From  that  date,  Dec.  25,  1851,  Mr. 
Carstarphen  has  led  a  very  active  life. 
In  the  spring  of  1851,  he  bought  a 
farm  in  Rails  county,  adjoining  the 
Helm's  farm,  four  miles  southwest  of 
New  London,  on  which  he  made  im- 
provements and  sold  it  at  a  nice  profit. 
He  then,  in  company  with  his  uncle, 
Mr.  Briggs,  bought  200  head  of  cat- 
tle, took  them  to  Sangamon  county, 
111.,  grazed  and  wintered  them  there, 
and  sold  them.  He  then  bought  cheap 
Illinois  land  and  did  well  with  it.  He 
came  back  to  Missouri  and  settled  at 
Louisiana,  in  1853,  and  embarked  in 
several  enterprises.  He  was  first  in 
the  dry  goods  business  with  John  S. 

Melon  for  one  year.  He  sold  that  and 
went  into  the  stove,  tin  and  iron  busi- 
ness with  Rufus  B.  Saffarans.  They 
purchased  vacant  ground  on  the  north- 
west corner  of  Third  and  Georgia 
streets  and  built  four  two-story  brick 
store  houses  for  rent.  He  then  sold 
his  interest  in  the  stove  and  iron  store 
and  took  a  position  as  clerk  in  the 
newly  organized  branch  of  the  Bank 
of  the  State  of  Missouri,  located  at 
Louisiana,  Mo.  This  position  he  held 
for  three  years,  at  which  time  he  was 
elected  cashier  and  held  that  position 
until  1882.  During  these  years  Mr. 
Carstari'hen  was  active  in  many  en- 
terprises of  the  city  of  Louisiana.  He 
was  a  member  of  the  firm  of  Rule  & 
Co.  in  the  flouring  mill,  which  they 
purchased  of  S.  W.  Farber  and  com- 
pany. He  was  engaged  with  Judge 
Win.  C.  Orr  and  Conrad  Smith  in  the 
contract  of  building  the  court  house 
in  Bowling  Green  in  1867.  He  was 
one  of  the  incorporators  and  first  di- 
rectors of  the  Louisiana  and  Missouri 
River  R.  R.  company,  and  one  of  the 
directors  of  the  Louisiana  and  Mis- 
souri R.  R.  Bridge  company  at  Lou- 
isiana, also  a  director  in  the  board 
of  education  for  several  years. 

On  February  1,  1854,  he  was  mar- 
ried to  Miss  Bellina  Jackson,  young- 
est daughter  of  Julius  C.  and  Harriet 
M.  Jackson,  at  Louisiana,  Mo.  Six 
children  blessed  their  happy  union. 
These  were  Hattie,  George  B.,  Mar- 
garet, Fannie,  Daisy  and  James  E.,  all 
of  whom  except  James,  lived  to  be 
grown  and  married. 

Hallie  married  Mr.  W.  G.  Tinsley, 
a  well-known  Louisiana  banker;  Mar- 
garet married  Hon.  Richard  B.  Speed 
of  Nevada,  Mo.,  an  editor  and  news- 
paper publisher,  and  a  noble  good 
man;  Fannie  married  Mr.  William 
Brady  of  Denver,  Colo.;  Daisy,  the 
youngest,  married  Mr.  James  E.  At- 
kinson of  Nevada,  Mo.  George  is  well 
known  in  Missouri,  having  held  many 
positions  of  trust  in  the  state  admin- 
istration. He  was  bank  examiner  for 
four  years.  Was  assistant  coal  oil 
inspector,  under  Governor  Stephens. 
About  six  years  ago  he  went  to  Del 
Rio,  Texas,  where  he  is  prospering 
in  the  general  dry  goods  business.  He 
also  owns  a  ranch  of  good  propor- 
tions in  that  county.  Mrs.  Fannie 
Brady  is  a  successful  Christian  Sci- 
ence practitioner  in  Kansas  City,  Mo. 

She  accompanied  her  father  to  Los 
Angeles  in  the  early  summer  of  this 
year  (1913)  and  tried  to  induce  him 
to  settle  down  there  and  grow  up  with 
the  country. 

In  1880,  Mr.  Carstarphen's  wife  died 
in  Denver,  Colo.,  and  was  buried  in 
the  Jackson  family  cemetery,  near 
Louisiana,  in  the  autumn  of  that  year. 
They  were  very  much  devoted  to  each 
other  during  their  married  life  and 
he  has  rarely,  if  ever,  failed  to  make 
a  special  trip  once  or  twice  a  year 
to  look  after  her  grave  and  to  place 
fresh  flowers  upon  it  and  upon  the 
graves  of  his  deceased  children. 

In  1882,  Mr.  Carstarphen  married  a 
sister  of  Judge  D.  P.  Dyer  of  the  St. 
Louis  federal  court.  Of  this  happj 
union  no  children  were1  born. 

It  was  soon  after  this,  in  1883,  thai 
he  entered  the  customs  service  in  St. 
Louis,  as  inspector  of  customs.  The 
custom  house  was  then  at  Third  and 
Olive  streets,  but  in  September  of  that 
year  it  moved  into  the  new  building 
at  Ninth  and  Olive  streets.  He  has 
since  served  continuously  in  that  de- 
partment for  over  thirty  years,  being 
most  of  the  time  in  charge  of  the 
cigar  department,  one  of  the  most  im- 
portant in  the  customs  service. 

Hon.  John  J.  O'Conner,  chief  in- 
spector of  customs,  at  the  port  of  St. 
Louis,  says:  "Mr.  Carstarphen  was 
at  all  times,  during  the  period  of  his 
service  in  this  office,  a  thoroughly 
reliable  and  faithful  official.  He  never 
tried  to  shirk  anything,  and  was  al- 
ways ready  to  assist  others  in  their 
work."  Continuing  be  says:  "He  was 
a  man  of  most  exemplary  habits;  al- 
ways the  thorough,  polished  gentle- 
man. He  never  smoked  nor  chewed 
tobacco,  cursed  or  used  vulgar  lan- 
guage. He  was  not  known  to  be  af- 
filiated with  any  particular  church 
organization  in  the  city,  but  he  never 
failed  to  attend  religious  services  at 
some  church  on  Sundays. 

"In  recent  years  he  usually  attended 
the  Christian  Science  churches  in  St. 

He  was  a  tall,  handsome  man  of 
graceful  carriage  and  he  never  lost 
that  personal  charm  of  character 
which  endeared  him  to  all  who  knew 
hirr.  He  was  a  special  favorite  at 
the  custom  house,  where  his  pleasant 
and  genial  manner  endeared  him  to 
his  fellow-employes. 

On  occasions  he  would  hum  old  re- 
ligious songs  of  his  childhood  days: 
and  the  music  of  his  voice  was  as 
sweet  and  clear  as  the  sound  of  a  sil- 
ver bell.  He  was  never  known  to  be 
angry;  and  none  had  the  temerity 
to  be  profane  in  his  presence.  On  his 
birthday,  the  22nd  of  January  last,  he 
was  remembered  by  his  associates 
presenting  him  'with  their  greeting 
and  a  huge  bouquet  of  flowers,  and 
on  his  leaving  for  California  in  June, 
on  his  vacation,  he  was  presented  with 
a  handsome  "grip"  with  the  best 
wishes  of  his  companions.  He  is  now 
in  Del  Rio,  Texas,  with  his  son, 
George,  but  his  desk  at  the  custom 
house  still  awaits  him,  and  it  is  con- 
sidered a  favor  to  be  permitted  to  use 
his  desk  and  chair.  It  is  the  earnest 
wish  of  his  fellow  employes  that  he 
may  be  able  to  return  to  his  office  and 
that  they  may  enjoy  many  more  years 
of  his  association." 

Early  in  May,  1880,  Mr.  Carstarpheri 
left  his  home  in  this  city  in  company 
with  his  wife,  Mrs.  Bellina  J.  Carstar- 
phen  for  Colorado  to  try  the  invigor- 
ating air  of  that  climate  in  the  hope 
of  restoring  her  health,  then  rapidly 
failing.  The  change  proved  unavail- 
ing and  in  one  short  month  she  passed 
away,  in  the  noontide  of  life  in  her 
forty-eighth  year.  She  had  sustained 
and  honored  the  relations  of  daugh- 
ter, wife,  mother,  sister,  neighbor  and 
friend.  She  had  filled  well  her  sphere 
in  life  as  a  sincere  and  consistent 
Christian.  For  thirty  years  she  filled 
her  seat  in  church  and  Sunday  school 
and  encouraged  her  Christian  friends 
by  her  example  of  piety,  humility  and 
practical  benevolence.  Her  hand  was 
ever  open  to  the  cry  of  distress,  her 
heart  to  the  wants  of  all  the  poor. 
She  delighted  in  the  study  of  the 
Bible.  One  could  not  listen  to  her 
pure  and  heavenly  conversation  with- 
out feeling  deeply  impressed  with  the 
obligations  of  Christianity.  Her  death 
was  a  severe  affliction  to  this  con- 
gregation. She  was  greatly  useful  in 
the  church,  nor  was  any  more  beloved. 
This  was  attested  by  the  long  proces- 
sion that  followed  her  remains  to 
their  last  resting  place — the  longest 
funeral  procession  in  the  history  of 
Louisiana.  All  mourned  her  as  a 
friend.  Bro.  E.  D.  Pearson,  who  con- 
ducted the  services,  said:  "As  an  ac- 
tive, earnest  faithful  worker  in  the 

cause  of  religian,  we  shall  not,  per- 
haps, see  her  like  again,  in  this  gen- 

A  beautiful  pen  picture  of  the  life 
and  character  of  our  subject  is  given 
by  Hon.  John  J.  O'Conner  in  the  pre- 
vious chapter.  The  writer  would  call 
attention  to  two  or  three  traits  of 
character  that  deserve  special  men- 
tion. These  shone  out  in  the  days 
of  his  greatest  usefulness  and  activi- 
ty in  this  city.  He  proved  himself 
to  be  a  many  sided  man,  capable  of 
filling  many  positions  at  the  same 

As  a  public-spirited  man — a  leader 
in  this  respect,  he  led  out  in  almost 
every  enterprise  that  helped  to  de- 
velop and  adorn  Pike  county.  And 
yet  he  looked  well  to  the  interest  of 
his  own  family.  Many  public  spirit- 
ed men  forget  their  families  in  their 
eagerness  to  serve  the  public. 

The  Carstarphen  mansion  erected  in 
1868  and  '69,  in  this  city,  like  Zion  of 
old,  was  beautiful  for  situation.  Built 
on  a  high  and  beautiful  tract  of  ten 
or  fifteen  acres,  surrounded  by  ter- 
races, shaded  by  native  forest  trees, 
it  was  easily  the  most  attractive 
building  in  this  city.  It  was  known 
as  the  "Carstarphen  Castle." 

Not  the  mere  love  of  display 
prompted  the  outlay  of  almost  $25,000 
in  its  erection,  but  a  dejire  for  tbe 
comfort,  convenience  and  happiness  of 
his  family.  Here  were  the  very  latest 
city  improvements — hot-air  furnaces, 
stationary  washstands,  private  water 
power  and  sewerage,  advantages  en- 
joyed by  people  who  live  in  the  city, 
and  such  as  were  rarely  found  out- 
side the  metropolis.  It  stood  for  sev- 
en years  as  a  monument  of  his  genius 
and  ambition.  A  fire  broke  out  in  the 
middle  of  the  night,  late  in  September, 
'  1875,  and  before  assistance  could 
reach  the  spot,  the  building  was  a 
wreck;  the  tottering  walls  were  all 
that  remained  on  the  morrow,  of  that 
splendid  edifice.  This  was  a  great 
loss,  not  only  to  the  owner,  but  to 
the  city  of  Louisiana,  and  caused  a 
feeling  of  universal  regret  through- 
out this  community. 

He  was  an  active  promoter  of  the 
public  school  system,  in  this  city. 

In  the  summer  of  1869  he  often  vis- 
ited the  site  of  the  "J.  Sam<  Brown 
School",  while  that  building  was  un- 

der  construction.  His  presence  en- 
couraged the  builders;  he  was  treas- 
urer of  the  board  and  ex-officio  super- 
visor of  construction. 

His  eminent  fitness  for  the  position 
of  school  director  was  shown  in  1875, 
when  a  new  principal  was  to  be  chos- 
en. Mr.  O.  C.  Bryson  and  a  friend 
introduced  to  him  a  former  college- 
mate  from  Kentucky,  stating  that  the 
young  Kentuckian  was  an  applicant 
for  that  position.  On  the  next  day 
Mr.  Carstarphen  called  to  one  of  the 
gentlemen,  saying  "Your  friend  stands 
a  good  show  of  being  elected  princi- 
pal. I  think  he  would  make  a  capital 
teacher.  Did  you  notice  how  close  his 
hair  grows  to  his  head?  That's  a 
sign  of  a  good  school  teacher.  He'd 
flog  the  tallest  boy  In  school  if  he 
didn't  toe  the  mark  and  obey  the  rules. 
He's  as  ambitious  as  Julius  Caesar, 
and  I  don't  think  it  would  be  six 
weeks  before  he'd  have  every  boy  in 
his  room  striving  for  the  highest 
mark  in  his  classes."  The  young  man 
was  employed,  taught  the  session 
through  and  on  the  closing  day  of  the 
session  addressed  the  school,  conclud- 
ing with  these  words:  "Whether  you 
take  Horace  Greeley's  advice  to  go 
west,  or  stay  at  home,  I  hope  you  will 
all  use  the  knowledge  you  have  gained 
here  and  make  your  mark  in  the 
world  as  useful  and  honorable  citi- 
zens, and  finally,  that  we  may  all 
meet  up  yonder — in  Congress  Hall." 

"He  taught  them,"  said  Judge  W.  C. 
Orr,  "to  aspire  to  a  seat  in  congress 
above  all  other  earthly  vocations.  To 
be  ambitious  to  serve  the  people  and 
their  country."  Mr.  Carstarphen's 
prediction  proved  literally  true.  The 
ambitious  teacher  had  inoculated  the 
entire  class.  "Our"  Champ's  ambi- 
tion was  contagious. 

Mr.  Carstarphen  was  known  as 
an  active  worker  in  the  church  of  his 
choice.  He  was  accustomed  to  say 
to  the  deacons,  "Put  me  down  for  one- 
tenth  of  the  entire  expense  of  the 
church  annually."  The  result  of  his 
proposition  and  his  example  of  con- 
tributing weekly  was  that  others  fell 
into  line  and  soon  the  whole  congre- 
gation was  working  in  harmony. 

As  an  illustration  of  his  many  du- 
ties, and  the  successful  manner  in 
which  he  met  all  of  them.  T  mention 
one  day's  work  of  his  in  1869,  with 

the  details  of  which  this  writer  was 
familiar.  He  met  the  directors  of  his 
bank  at  9  o'clock;  later,  the  directors 
of  the  gravel  road  company,  and  still 
later  some  of  the  directors  of  the  Lou- 
isiana &  Missouri  River  R.  R. ;  and 
after  supper  the  school  board  and 
went  home  and  played  blind  man's 
buff  with  his  children  till  bed  time. 
When  his  name  was  announced  in 
connection  with  the  office  of  treasurer 
of  the  State  of  Missouri  in  1878,  an 
enthusiastic  delegation  was  sent  from 
Pike  county  to  the  convention  favoring 
his  nomination. 

Wise  in  Counsel. 

An  instance  illustrating  Mr.  Car- 
saarphen's  foresight  and  business  cau- 
men.  It  was  in  the  summer  of  1869. 
This  city,  to  use  a  modern  phrase, 
was  on  a  boom ;  two  railroads  were 
being  put  through  connecting  us  with 
the  east  and  west,  and  the  north  and 
south;  the  Mississippi  was  being 
spanned  by  a  steel  bridge.  There 
was  great  commercial  activity  as  well 
as  educational.  The  J.  Sam  Brown 
school  building  was  about  finished; 
Baptist  college  was  flourishing  with 
J.  T.  Williams  as  president  with  a 
full  corps  of  teachers.  William 
Christian,  president  of  Troy  Institute 
conceived  the  idea  of  making  Louisi- 
ana an  education  center  of  Northeast 
Missouri  With  a  view  of  locating  in- 
this  city  he  came  here  in  July,  1869, 
and  made  a  survsy  of  the  field.  After 
looking  at  Jackson  grove  as  a  suitable 
site  he  had  about  decided  to  purchase 
the  two  story  frame  building  on  Sev- 
enth street,  one  block  north  of  Geor- 
gia street,  in  which  Prof.  Parker,  at 
one  time  state  superintendent  of 
schools,  had  formerly  taught.  Now, 
said  his  friend,  O.  C.  Bryson,  let  us 
go  to  Mr.  Carstarphen  and  hear  his 
advice  on  the  subject.  They  went  and 
Mr.  Carstarphen  heard  Prof.  Wm. 
Christian  through  as  he  stated  his 
reasons  for  his  contemplated  change. 
Then  turning  to  him  in  a  friendly 
manner,  but  in  words  that  Christian 
never  forgot,  said:  I  will  be  very 
glad  to  welcome  you  to  our  city  as  a 
citizen,  and  will  do  all  I  can  to  help 
you.  But  if  you  expect  to  make  a 
financial  success  of  this  enterprise— 
your  private  institution  of  learning — 
I  can  tell  you  in  advance  that  you 

will  be  doomed  to  disappointment,  be- 
cause our  public  schools  are  going  to 
swallow  up  every  private  enterprise. 
It  is  only  a  question  of  a  few  years 
when  they  will  put  Baptist  college 
out  of  commission,  because  they  are 
the  "People's  College".  The  best 
teachers  that  the  country  affords  will 
be  installed  in  our  public  school,  and 
every  equipment  necessary  to  the 
teaching  of  all  the  branches  in  high 
schools.  The  people  support  the  pub- 
lic schools  and  they  will  patronize 
them  in  preference  to  nrivate  schools. 

Come  on  and  become  a  citizen  with 
us  and  perhaps  you  may  be  chosen 
as  one  of  our  teachers." 

This  interview  settled  the  question 
with  Prof.  Wm.  Christian  and  he  left 
that  afternoon  for  his  hoir.e  at  New 
London.  He  had  been  encouraged  by 
his  friends  in  this  city  and  at  home  to 
locate  here  and  had  received  a  flat- 
tering invitation  to  do  so.  In  Mr. 
Carstarphen  he  recognized  a  saga- 
cious, f&rseeing  business  man  and  ac- 
cepted bis  advice  as  against  all  oth- 
ers. Meeting  him  a  few  years  after- 
ward in  St.  Louis,  he  remarked,  Car- 
starphen is  a  long-headed  man.  He 
saved  ire  from  financial  loss.  His 
prediction  in  regard  to  the  public 
school  proved  true  to  the  letter. 

Mr.  Carstarphen  was  instrumental 
in  securing  for  the  Louisiana  public 
schools  such  men  as  Prof.  G.  L.  Os- 
borne,  Prof.  H.  M.  Hamil,  Prof.  J.  M. 
White,  and  Prof.  J.  I.  Nelson,  all  of 
whom  stood  in  the  front  rank  of  pub- 
lic school  work. 

His  Genealogy. 

"I  am  the  son  of  Chappel  Evans  Car- 
starphen, who  was  born  in  December, 
1798,  in  the  northern  part  of  South 
Carolina,  and  died  in  June,  1876,  at 
Hannibal,  Mo.  He  was  married  in  1825 
to  Miss  Margaret  Brings,  who  was 
born  in  1803,  near  Frankfort, 
Kentucky,  and  died  in  1871,  at  Han- 
nibal, Mo.  She  was  tbe  daughter  of 
Robert  Briggs.  Chappell  Carstarphen 
was  a  farmer  by  occupation,  a  whig 
in  politics,  and  a  Baptist  in  religion. 
He  resided  near  New  London  most  of 
his  life,  and  in  Hannibal  for  a  few 
years  previous  to  his  death,  at  the 
home  of  his  son,  William  P.  Carstar- 
pben,  a  druggist  in  Hannibal. 

Children   of  Chappel  E.   Carstarphen. 

1.  Robert    Briggs,    born    in    1826; 
died  in  California. 

2.    Eula,    born    January    22, 

3.  John  C.,   born   in   1830,   married 
Juliet  Owens. 

4.  Wljlliam  Price,  born  in  1832, 
married  Sarah  Brown. 

5.  Richard  C.,  born  in  1834,  died  in 

6.  Benjamin  Franklin,  born  in  1836, 
died  in  youth. 

7.  Sarah  Jane,  born  in   1838,  mar- 
ried Wm.   Wellman. 

8.  Elizabeth,    born    in    1845,    mar- 
ried   Dr.   John   Lanius. 

9.  Oney,    born    in      1847,      married 
Muggy  Kem,  of   Louisiana. 

John  C.  died  a  few  years  ago  and 
is  buried  at  Frankford.  Mo.  William 
P.  and  his  wife,  nee  Sarah  Brown, 
daughter  of  J.  B.  (Buck)  Brown  of 
Hannibal,  Mo.,  both  died  in  Denver, 
Colorado,  in  1911.  A  son  of  Wm.  P. 
Carstarphen  lives  in  Denver,  Colo., 
and  is  at  the  head  of  the  Carstarphen 
electrical  works  of  that  city.  He  has 
made  his  mark  in  the  world  as  an 
electrician,  says  the  venerable  "Buck" 
Brown  of  Hannibal,  his  grandfather, 
known  as  a  pioneer  druggist  of  north- 
east Missouri. 

Mrs.  Jennie  Wellman,  my  sister,  is 
living  at  New"  London,  Mo.,  at  the  age 
of  72  years.  Oney,  my  youngest 
brother,  studied  law,  and  after  serv- 
ing a  term  as  prosecuting  attorney 
for  Marion  county,  Mo.,  removed  to 
Denver,  Colo.  For  the  past  twenty 
years  he  has  held  a  government  posi- 
tion in  the  General  Land  office  at 
Washington,  D.  C. 

George  Barnard  Carstarphen,  my 
oldest  son  married  Miss  Bertha  Hamil- 
ton of  Fulton,  Mo.  They  have  a  fam- 
ily of  four  daughters — Bertha,  Hallie, 
Fthel  and  Helen,  all  splendid  girls, 
they  take  after  their  mother  arid  her 
side  of  the  house!  I  can  go  no  fur- 
ther back  than  my  parents.  My 
grandfather  and  mother  both  died 
when  Chaippel  E.  Carstarphen,  my 
father  was  an  infant,  and  he  an  only 

.  In  a  letter  dated  March  7,  1913, 
written  as  his  desk  in  the  U.  S.  .cus- 
tom house,  St.  Louis,  he  says: 

"Your's  to  hand  and  read.      Though 

I  had  to  hunt  up  Willie  and  have  him 
read  it  to  me,  I  am  so  short  of  sight 
I  couldn't  read  it, — but  he,  a  splendid, 
good  fellow,  soon  made  it  plain  to  me. 
He  and  I  went  to  work — he  writing 
and.  I  answering  your  inquiries  until 
we  came  to  my  father's  ancestors,  then 
I  broke  down,  as  all  the  knowledge 
I  have  ever  had  of  his  history  is  that 
his  parents  both  died  when  he  was  a 
baby,  and  he  an  only  child.  Hence  1 
could  go  no  further  back  on  our  lin- 
eage. My  own  personal  history  and 
that  of  my  wife  and  children  I  think 
you  will  find  O.  K.  I  have  some  notes 
of  my  early  life  that  I  shall  send  to 
you  that  you  may  write  up  a  brief 
sketch  for  the  Press-Journal,  Newt 
Bryson's  paper,  in  Louisiana,  where  I 
was  best  known  and  where  the  happi- 
est portion  of  my  life  has  been  spent. 
I  feel  that  I  would  love  to  settle 
down  there,  to  finish  it  up.  I  have 
more  love  for  Louisiana  than  any 
place  on  earth.  My  old  home,  where 
I  first  located  permanently  in  life, 
and  where  my  first  wife  and  four  of 
my  children  are  buried,  out  there  un- 
der that  great  old  oak,  a  beautiful 
monarch  of  the  forest,  where  I  too, 
when  time  with  me  shall  be  no  more, 
hope  to  be  laid.  Adieu,  my  dear  sir 
and  friend. 


Mr.  Carstarphen's  feel-ings  at  the 
time  of  writing  this  letter,  are  so 
well  expressed  by  a  lady,  a  descend- 
ant of  this  family,  living  in  the  far 
west,  who  visited  the  Jackson  home- 
stead a  few  years  ago,  and  in  her  he- 
turn  to  the  west  wrote  a  very  beauti- 
ful and  tender  tribute  to  her  child- 
hood's home  that  I  give  her  language 
as  a  fitting  close  to  this  sketch. 

It  seems  that  her  memory  and  his 
were  filled  with  the  same  beautiful 
pictures  which  the  mind  had  wrought. 

"Dear  old  home!  I  greet  you  with 
all  my  heart!  I  love  you:  the  oreek, 
the  branch,  the  rocky  hills,  with  the 
green  cedars  standing  as  sentinels; 
your  woodland  with  wild  flowers  and 
tall  trees;  your  maple  grove,  where 
as  a  child  I  used  to  dring  out  of  sugar 
troughs  the  sweet  water  as  it  flowed 
from  the  trees;  I  sipped  from  trough 
to  trough  as  the  birds  flew  from  limb 
to  limb,  with  not  a  thought  or  care  of 
days  and  years  to  come  that  could 
bring  sorrow.  I  can  see  the  kind 
black  faces,  big  and  little,  so  busy 
with  buckets  carrying  the  sweet  water 
to  the  big  boiling  kettle.  Those  wood- 
land scenes. 

"And  you  dear  old  soil!  I  love  that 
too,  because  the  most  sacred  dust  to 
me  of  mortal  bodies  rests  beneath 
the  myrtle  beds  and  the  great  spread- 
ing oak,  awaiting  the  final  resurrec- 

"Tn  my  far-away  home,  I  long  for 
your  woody  pastures  and  rocky  hills. 
If  I  never  see  you  or  meet  your  dear 
people  again,  these  pictures  of  my 
childhood  home  will  ever  linger  in 
my  memory." 

And  with  Goldsmith,  he  can  say: 
"In  all  iry  griefs — and  God  has  given 

my  share — 
I  still  had  hoJDes,  my  latest  hours  to 


Amidst    these   humble    bowers    to    lay 
me  down". 

And,  as  a  hare  when  hounds  and  horns 

Pants   to    the    place    from    whence    at 

first  she  flew, 
I   still   had  hopes,  my  long  vexatious 

Here  to   return,  and  die,  at  home,  at 


Louisiana,  Mo..  Feb.  13,  1914.